1697 London 1764
Sr. Hudibras Encounters the Skimmington (or The Antichristian Opera) (Hudibras XII)
Currently available individual plates
by various engravers & editions
- Frontispiece and its Explanation to Samuel Butler’s “Hudibras”
- Sr. Hudibras his passing worth / The manner how he sally’d forth.
The Knight and his shield-bearer Ralpho depart for great actions
- Hudibras’s First Adventure.
The Knight in fight with a mob brandishing clubs
- Hudibras, catechiz’d.
The knight thrashed by a masked gang
- Hudibras vanquish’d by Trulla.
The knight vanquished by a woman
- Hudibras, in Tribulation.
Knight + Ralpho in stocks
- Hudibras beats Sidrophel and his man Whacum.
Hudibras at the alchemist
- The Committee
- Hudibras, Triumphant
- Burning ye Rumps at Temple-Barr.
Down with the rump parliament. The 1653 symbolic burning of the parliament
- Sr. Hudibras Encounters the Skimmington
(or The Antichristian Opera)
“ Sir, yes, (the Rubens) is closer to the one in London (recte Dresden), but the one we have is on copper. Thank you for your time. Highest regards, D… A… (and yes America could use a blessing about now) ”
(Mr. D. A., November 4, 2003)